The Employment (Amendment) Ordinance 2018, effective since February 9, 2018.
Any employment agent is not allowed to collect from a job seeker any fees or charges other than the prescribed commission, which is an amount not exceeding 10 per cent of the first month’s salary of the job seeker upon successful placement.Those who failed to do so may lead to prosecution and/or revocation of license. The amendment of the ordinance has raised the maximum penalty to $350,000 and imprisonment for three years.
Reminders to a licensee or an associate of a licensee in respect of an Employment Agent, or a person purporting to act as such a licensee or associate:
- Do not over charge job-seekers.
- Do not help any other persons or organisations to collect fees for arranging job-seekers to come to Hong Kong.
- Do not advise, arrange, encourage or force job-seekers to take out loans from any financial institutions or individuals.
- Do not withhold job-seekers’ passports or travel documents in order to force them to pay or repay any sum of money.
- Do not advise employers to make unlawful wage deductions for paying any fees and charges.
- Must comply with other statutory requirements and standards of the Code of Practice for Employment Agencies (CoP0
For further information, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.