Obtaining an employment agency license is not as hard as you may think. Rather it is simple and straightforward as long as you have the necessary documents and follow the application steps. There is a procedure for applying for an employment agency license. Don’t worry if you are not familiar with the process as we have it all listed out for you. The entire procedure involves two steps: Approval of proposed name and Document submission. The steps are explained thoroughly below.
- Approval of Proposed Names
- For the employment agency you wish to set up, name approval must be done first. You can do this by submitting an application to the Hong Kong Labor Department.
- Be aware that the proposed name can be rejected if it is the following:
- Same or similar to another employment agency’s name
- Infringes on trademarks
- Offensive or contrary to public interest
- Document Submission
- The second step is to turn in the documents required for the license application process. This is sent to the Labor Department. This task is for the nominated operator or director. He or she submits the documents in person and goes to an interview for it. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for application to go through. Afterwards, there is a license fee that is issued by the Employment Agency License of HK$2,000. There is an issue of 12 months with the license being displayed at all times in office.
- These are the documents that need to be submitted:
- Employment Agency License Application and the Supplementary Form
- A certified true copy of Hong Kong ID cards or travel documents of each of the directors and the nominated operator of the company (travel documents must indicate that the persons concerned are allowed to take up employment or establish a business in Hong Kong without any restrictions)
- Certified true copies of Business Registration Certificate, Certificate of Incorporation and Articles of Association of the company
- A certified copy of the Notification of first secretary and directors
- A certified true copy of the Notification of changes of secretary and directors (if applicable)
- A true copy of the document confirming the appointment of the nominated operator
If your application is rejected for some reason, you are able to appeal to the Labor Department’s Administrative Appeal Board within 28 days of notice. If you need to renew your employment agency license, please submit an application for renewal two months before expiry date with a fee of HK$2,000. The following documents are required:
- A completed prescribed ‘Renewal of License’ application form
- A Declaration Form (declaring that the applicant is not an undischarged bankrupt)
- An Authorization to conduct a criminal record check on the applicant
- A true certified copy of a valid Business Registration Certificate